Friday, June 14, 2013

Weekly Round - Up - with conversations and strawberries


{Some of these pictures were taken with instagram.  I love, love, love instagram!  Follow me at hollyoshesky}

This week I took a little trip down south, home, to Ohio.  The reason is that we decided to join Classical Conversations for our homeschool next year.  I went to Ohio to attend their free, yes, free, parent practicum.  I had no idea what to expect.  I learned so much.  My personal pedagogy was affirmed,  I was encouraged by all the wonderful, veteran, homeschool moms and I got excited about math.

This trip took some planning and there were several missteps along the way.  The biggest issue was a car.  Mine was in the middle of being repaired. So we decided that I should rent a car.  Look what they had:



It was such a blessing to drive a newer car and fun to boot.  Isn't it cute!

I took the Little Dude with me and Zippy stayed with her Dad.  Little Dude had a blast every day at Play Camp and crashed early every night.  It was so nice to spend some time with the Little Dude.


The theme of the parent practicum was Returning to Roots and Reason with a focus on the Language of Arithmetic .  While I had a good general grasp on classical education, I really came away with a deeper understanding.  To be honest the focus on Math elicited a really big sigh from me on the first day. Personally, I do not have a great track record with math, and consequently have a bad attitude toward the subject.  They presented math, not as a subject but rather math as the language of the universe.  {Wrap up blog post to follow}, but here is my favorite quote of the weekend:



Meanwhile back at the ranch....
Zippy and her dad had a great time together.  They went to Ceder Point:


And she saw the plastic surgeon who said her skin graft was fine.  She was freed from her splint and told that she can get it wet, but not totally soaked.  That means she can shower, ride her bike and have more summertime fun. 



I can't go to Ohio in June without getting farm fresh, ripe strawberries.  Yum!


{Linking Up}

life rearranged

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!