Friday, September 13, 2013

Weekly Round Up - with the solar system

Here is what is going on in our lives and in our homeschool this week in words and pictures.

*************************************************************

Some of the pictures in this post were taken with Instagram. I love Instagram. Follow me to see more great pics. I'm hollyoshesky.

*************************************************

We had the last of firsts for this school year this week.  Zippy started Classical Conversations.  Classical conversations is really hard to define.  You can check out their website to find out all about it. Essentially they are classical in their approach (so lots of memorization) and they are a community.  There are a few reasons why I thought this outlet would serve our edicational needs this year.  Zippy spent so much time alone last year so I thought it was especially important to get her involved in community.  Classical Conversations meets once a week in a small (like 5 kids) classroom setting, so this is a good way for her to practice her social skills in a rigid environment.  And there is Essentials.  Classical Conversations is divided up into three sections Foundations (grade K4 - 6), Essentials (Grade 4 - 6), and Challenge (Grade 7 - 12).  Zippy is barely too old, but I wanted her to do Essentials because it is the most through English program I have seen. It covers writing and grammar with a little math thrown in.  Sadly Zippy is the only student, but since I signed up to tutor the class it all works out ok.

This week Zippy had a project in Science.  Make the Solar System with balloons.  Fun, fun, fun.  And yes she did include Pluto.  We know Pluto was demoted but Zippy felt sorry for it so she included it. (By the way you can hear a great podcast on Pluto from  Stuff you Missed in History Class. released 7/22/13).

balloon solar system

The Little Dude is also coming along with preschool, but I am giving him his very own round up tomorrow. There is just too much great preschool stuff. Here is a sneak peek:

Preschool preview

I will leave you with a quote and a picture:

Big sisters are the crab grass in the lawn of life ~ Charles M Schulz


brother and sister


{Linking Up}

Homegrown Learners

7 comments:

  1. HI HOlly - so many homeschoolers seem to be doing CC these days. Looks like a fun week! enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same as Melissa! It's so interesting to hear about other curricula. i'm looking forward to following along.
    The balloon solar system looks fun. LOL about Pluto :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we always include Pluto too - same reason, I have a soft spot for the demoted planet, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know so many people who do CC, and they all have great things to say :-) Thanks for the link to the podcast. I might have to listen to it for my own education :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope CC fits you perfectly! I have heard great things about it but I wonder if it is too rigid for our unschooling life? I honestly think Keilee would love it. She loves structure and assignments. Love the planets project. We include Pluto too. Poor Pluto!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info...this blog has never let me down..and by the way, i love your theme. Catch your next post..... Saving Energy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!