Thursday, March 14, 2013

Homeschooling Through a Crisis

How to homeschool when something unexpected happens.


My Story

The night of Thanksgiving the Little Dude vomited. (It does seem that these things always happen near a holiday).  For the next three days he was sick as a dog, sleeping a lot, not eating, not drinking, just generally feeling icky.  We adjusted his medication as the doctor told us, but after three days, he was not better, so I called the endocrinologist and, as expected, she told us to go into the Emergency Room.  I expected them to hydrate, run some blood tests, have many conversations with the endocrinologist, perhaps adjust medications and be sent home.  Instead the Little Dude was admitted to the hospital due to his very low sodium levels.  This was out of the blue.  I was not prepared to spend 20 hours a day in the hospital with my son, for a week.  This was a crisis.  We got through the best we knew how.  In the meantime, I had a child at home, who was homeschooled, what was I to do?  She stayed with her grandmother most days. She worked  independently. We touched base once a day.  Did she do all I planned that week? No.  Was it an educationally fulfilling week? No. Was it ok? Yes.

Five Lessons I Learned

There are so many different kinds of crisis in life.  I am hesitant to give blanket advice but here are five lessons I learned about homeschooling through a crisis.

1. Don't sweat the small stuff
2. Do what you can
3. Don't be afraid to ask
4. Accept grace
5. Love unconditionally

In times of stress, the best thing we can do for each other is to listen with our ears and our hearts and to be assured that our questions are just as important as our answers.  

~Mr. Rogers 










This post is a part of 5 Days of Teaching Creatively Blog Hop.  Check out other's posts on Toys, Games and Puzzles by clicking on Blog Hop Linky at the bottom of this post. You can click over to the TOS Review Crew Blog to find out more.  Don't forget to enter to win one of three great homeschool prize packages in the Teaching Creatively Giveaway


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!