Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sleeplessness


Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses;  in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left;
II Corinthians 6:4-7

Exhaustion is a part of parenting.  In those first days, when newborns need to eat every few hours, around the clock.   Later when fevers boil all the night through or when a nightmares or thunderstorm break into a peaceful slumber.  Science tells us the tired people do not perform well mentally or physically.  Experience tell us that tired people are grouchy, irritable, and quick tempered. Not great qualities for a parent.

Nobody is perfect, but we do want to be commendable to our children even as Paul is commendable to the Corinthians.  It is our job, our duty, as parents to train up our children.  As Proverbs 22:6 says " Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it."  And Ephesians 6:4 says "Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord." 

It was the word "sleeplessness" that caught my eye in this passage (I was actually studying a verse on the opposite page in my Bible). In all honesty, I have not been sleeping well for a few weeks.  Little Dude's sleep schedule is off and we are having a hard time re-establishing it.  If he does not sleep, I do not sleep.  I grumbled, complained and griped at my daughter because I was tired, but when I read these verses I was humbled.  If Paul could endure not only sleepless nights, but also beatings, hunger, riots, imprisionments for the Lord's calling, then I had a responsibility to try to be a commendable witness in my calling as mother to my children.  It is only by the Grace of God that I will succeed.

1 comment:

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!