Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Countdown - Day 15 - Gifts


I'm only on chapter 3 but this book has really made me think. 

"I wake to self-hatred.  To the wrestle to get it all done, the relentless anxiety that I am failing.  Always the failing.  I yell at I yell at children, fester with bitterness, forget doctor appointments, lose library books, live selfishly, skip prayer, complain, go to bed late, neglect cleaning the toilets. I live tired."  

Um, yeah.  Did she take a peek in my brain?  In my heart? 

So what do we do? 

According to Ann Voscamp's website 
In One Thousand Gifts: A Dare  to Live Fully Right Where You Are, Ann strives to find the meaning of life and fully embrace the surprising truth from the final scenes of Jesus’ earthly life.  In the hours before Jesus’ execution, he took bread and gave thanks.  This fresh, heart-wrenching book unveils the long forgotten wonder that through the imitation of Christ’s thankfulness, we too can experience a life of joy.
 Experiencing a life of  joy.  That is a pretty nice Christmas present.  



1 comment:

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!