I learned about these a few years ago and have been smitten ever since. They are two interlocking metal plates at the end of long sticks. Some of the yummiest campfire dinners and desserts come from these beauties. They are available at any good camping retailer. I got mine at Cabellas.
Here is what to do:
- Get the cheapest, fluffiest white bread you can get your hands on.
- Butter each piece of bread on one side, like for a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Place one piece of bread butter side down on one side of the pie iron.
- Put the innards (see below) on the bread, but don't stuff it too full.
- Put the other piece of bread on top and close the iron.
- Cook over an open fire for 5 minutes or so. When they are done the bread is toasted a nice golden color and the innards are warm and melty.
Some Ideas for the insides:
- Cheese - pretty much any kind.
- Pizza - tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and your favorite pizza toppings - ham, mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, anchovies, pineapples or whatever you like.
- Ham and cheese.
- Turkey and cheese
- Roast Beef and cheese
- Sloppy Joe (ground beef or turkey and a can of sloppy joe)
- Pie filling - ok this may sound weird but it makes such a delicious dessert.
Pie Irons are great any time there is food, fire and friends.