Saturday, May 14, 2011

31 Days to Clean Update

Homemakers Challenge - 31 Days to Clean


Two weeks into this challenge and I am loving this book more and more, but truth be told I have definitely been eating of the bread of laziness for the last two days.  Time now to get back up, dust off, and go again.  I think my new motto needs to be: today is a new day.

This book is conducive to journaling or daily blogging.  I have been writing down snips and bits here and there, but not kept a formal journal.  I was browsing through the first 10 days to pick a favorite or something that was especially important, but every day is just full of insight.  My top two "aha" moments would probably be the conviction on day two when I read the 10 Ways to Give Life to Your Home.   This list really shone a light on my selfishness.  My second moment of clarity was when I read about the "The Curse" from Genesis.  Then I read Romans 8:20-21

For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. 

Then I sat and thought about it for quite a while.  Still on my mind, truth be told.

The Mary challenges are fabulous. They really distill and allow the lesson to be put into practice.  My favorite Mary challenge so far is the priorities challenge.  It really made me think, and writing them down, with scripture as Sarah Mae does in the book really solidified my priorities.  Because of this exercise I am making some minor changes in my attitude and actions, for example, Saturday is now family day, period, end of sentence.  Family is more important than work and I need to reflect that, not being frustrated when the husband suggests a family activity when there are dishes in the sink.

The whole reason I decided to get this book and take up the challenge is I want a clean house.  The Martha challenges are really addressing that.  One deep cleaning exercise each day, one small bite out of the elephant that is my house, bringing clean with it each day is refreshing.  I thought about putting some before/after pictures, but honestly, I am kind of horrified at the filth that is living in my house, particularly the windows and the fridge.  So use your imagination....and next week maybe I'll get the camera out.

{linked up: Joyful Mothering 31 day challenge) 

2 comments:

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!