Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Garden Challenge




I was inspired to do an enrichment unit with the kids. This inspiration came after I read all about the Garden Challenge.  I have been thinking about doing something that would involve both children.  This is a little difficult as there is a vast world of difference between them.  Gardening is the perfect solution, enough interesting things for the big girl and well, dirt, outside, and probably some sort of crawly things for the little boy.

Our family has dabbled in gardening off an on over the years.  I decided to make a new fresh start with our old pea trellis.  We will make a small garden from scratch, drawing out the the plans to decide how big it needs to be to include what we want to plant.  I really want to include Zippy in every stage of the garden.

 

Planting - I want to plant three types of things
(1.) Seedlings that we propagated ourselves - probably peas and chives
(2.) Seeds directly into the ground - green onions
(3.) Plants we buy from the nursery - at least tomatoes, maybe a pumpkin and some herbs

Resources - The thing I really want the children (particularly Zippy) to get out of this experience is to understand where food comes from, and how the cultivation of food is important in many different places. To expand on the garden experience we will be reading several books - some for Zippy some for the Little Dude, some for both.




4 comments:

  1. HI there. Thanks so much for linking up to mY UBP linky! I am your newest follower! Love your blog! Cant wait to set some time aside to read about my new friends!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan! Can't wait to see it all growing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys love growing vegetable soup and gardening with me. This is going to be a lot of fun! I am returning the blog hop visit to Town and Rivers. Thanks for stopping by and I'll be putting gardening pics up as soon as the season starts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely enough dirt and crawly things!!

    thanks for joining us - next link up is april 28th

    Stef - HSV TEAM

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!