Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Good Television

CBS’ Amazing Race is a great show: entertaining and educational. When I was teaching in the public schools I did Oshesky’s Amazing Trivia challenge, where I would pose a trivia question based on the geographic location of that week’s show. Now that we are homeschooling I couldn’t give up this great learning opportunity.

Here is the plan
For each destination:
  • Find the country on a world map or in an atlas, we are plotting out the course on a world map.
  • Fill out the worksheet (find the free printable worksheet here) 
    • Country Name
    • Capital of the Country
    • Cities traveled through in the race
    • 3 facts gleaned from the show i.e. kangaroo is the national symbol of Australia

There are also many opportunities, viewing The Amazing Race, to discuss character and virtue. 
  • Teamwork
  • Honesty
  • Respect

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!