Sunday, June 18, 2017

Happy Father's Day

June is a great time to look back and to look forward.  This weekend is the Motor Muster at Greenfield Village, a good time with lots of old cars.  This year Zippy will probably get her driver's license.  My dad taught me how to drive, especially how to drive a manual transmission, which I love and miss (another reason for Zippy to get her license).  Here are two driving lessons I learned from my him.


Timing is Everything.  In order for a manual transmission to go it is necessary for the driver to push the accelerator and let off the clutch at the same time, just at the right time. The right timing takes practice, patience, and perseverance.  There are a lot of things in life like that.  

Pay Attention.  My dad spent most of my childhood as an over the road truck driver.  He drives professionally. This gave my driving lessons a certain authority.  What he said was right and true, I knew this because somebody paid him to do it.  Needless to say, I paid attention.  Now as I look forward to Zippy's driving experience I can truly appreciate what a privilege it was to be taught by a professional.

Driving a car with a manual transmission for me is one of life's little joys and I am so thankful that I had a dad who could teach me.

Happy Father's Day.



 

1 comment:

I love comments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!